Law & Prosecution
Law Department of Chandigarh Administration is headed by Legal Remembrancer who is the Head of the Department and the Home Secretary-cum-Law Secretary, U.T., Chandigarh is the Administrative Secretary of the department. The next officer in hierarchy is the codification & Publication Officer who is assisted by a team of Law Officers on legal side and on the Administrative side he is assisted by the Superintendent Grade-I alongwith Senior Assistant, Junior Assistants, Clerks and Stenos who deal with administrative matters.
The Legal Remembrancer has also been designated as Director of Prosecution, Chandigarh Administration. On the prosecution side there are two District Attorneys, 5 Deputy District Attorneys alongwith a team of 14 Assistant District Attorneys.
The Law Department of Chandigarh Administration is the apex legal wing of the Chandigarh Administration. The main functions of the Law Department are as under:-
- Rendering of legal advice on various legal matters.
- Vetting of statutory notifications.
- Appointment of Govt. counsels to defend the cases before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, Punjab & Haryana High Court, Central Administrative Tribunal and National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
- Issuing of instruction to the District Attorneys for defending of cases before the hon’ble District Court and Consumer Forums.
- Framing of panel of Govt. Counsels for defending cases of the Chandigarh Administration before various Courts/Tribunal.
- Monitoring of court cases of the Chandigarh Administration.